Re: sound on G3 Powerbook

Joshua Holland wrote:

> I have no sound on my powerbook.  I am running Gnome with
> Enlightenment.  I have set sound in the Gnome control panel.  When I
> enable audio in the Enlightenment settings, I get a message saying there
> was an error communicating with the Audio server.

I was just about to send a message to the list about my audio problems on my
B&W G3. On my B&W G3, using the kernel-image-2.2.15-pmac. it seems that my
audio doesn't work properly, and Matt Brubeck's message conceringing possible
fixes didn't help at all.

Nothing complains about bad audio devices, but I never get any audio output.
Never. Not even system-beeps when I hit backspace in a console window. aumix
comes up rather screwed, with an aumix -q producing:

vol 100, 100
speaker 120, 103
line 48, 48, P
mic 0, 0, P
cd 49, 49, R
pcm2 100, 0

the one that gets me is the speaker line....wtf is 120,103??

Anyone else having these difficulties, or is it just me?

G3-300, 256 Megs-o-ram
using the USB keyboard, and a kensington ADB turbomouse
128Meg swap

The only odd thing about this machine, is the iomega buz card I was using as a
SCSI controller under MacOS (which, surprise, surprise, doesn't work under linux...).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Jeremiah Merkl
-University of Lethbridge Student Macintosh Computer Labs