Re: quadra 605

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 11:52:49AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> I think fpu emulation was added in recent kernel, so it should work also (or
> does the LC come for no mmu, in this case you are lost) ...

they have an mmu, only chips older then the 68020 lack that (iirc).

are you sure the fpu emulation works on these?  that would be quite
nice as i have a powerbook with a LC040 and macos is a bloated pig
that leaks so much memory i have to reboot it every 3.5 minutes
(really!) i tried netbsd once but as i said all that is good for is
playing segfault and dump core for fun and entertainment...

there is however some LC040's for which no fpu emulation is possible
due to a defect that prevents the f-line trap handler from working.
you can tell if your chip is defective with macos by trying
SoftwareFPU (a FPU emulator for MacOS) if it works your chip is fine,
if not your screwed.

for detailed explanation of the problem with LC040's see:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/LC040-and-BSD.html

it was written in '97 and they have still have no solution.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/