Re: aty128 framebuffer annoyance

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 04:30:00PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > ever since i started using kernels with aty128 frambuffer support
> > (2.2.14) i have had this really agrivating problem:  whenever i switch
> > VCs, almost without fail the screen goes black for about 2 full
> > seconds then slowly fades back in.  its as if it goes into powersave
> > for a second and wakes up again.  its driving me INSANE!!
>
> This sounds like something we fixed a long time ago in pm2fb: It used to
> reprogram the RAMDAC on every switch, which caused some monitors to resync,
> which I think is what you observe.
>
> Maybe aty128fb could be changed as well to only reprogram the RAMDAC if the
> mode on the new VC is different from the old one.

is there any way to verify this ?  the weird thing is sometimes it
does not do it, but i cannot see any pattern to when it does or does
not, most of the time it does.

i do hear the monitor make a very slight hum... shimmering sound,
about like it does when changing resolution or something, rather
subtle about like a monitor resync ;-)

so happen to have a patch ;-)

thanks

--