powerbookG3 boot problem

Hello,

I have installed Debian on my G3 Powerbook's 4 gig expansion bay hard
drive.  (I have some experience with Debian, I successfully installed
the m68k port on my Mac IIci)
I installed Debian over the net, and everything seemed to go find.  The
installer identified my partitions as /dev/hdc6, hdc7, and hdc8 (root,
swap, and usr).  I configured the time stuff and then rebooted.  I
unchecked the Ramdisk option and set the root as hdc6.  Linux started to
boot and then this message:

No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hdc6.  (null)
Superblock could not be read or doesn't describe a correct ext2 file
system....

I tried using e2fsck as suggested but that didn't work since hdc6
couldn't be found.

Any ideas?

Joshua Holland