Re: powerbookG3 boot problem

Josh wrote:

<snip>

> swap, and usr).  I configured the time stuff and then rebooted.  I
> unchecked the Ramdisk option and set the root as hdc6.  Linux started to
> boot and then this message:
>
> No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hdc6.  (null)
> Superblock could not be read or doesn't describe a correct ext2 file
> system....

Someone sent this email a little bit before you sent yours, maybe this is
applicable?

Subject:
             potato install
        Date:
             Sun, 14 May 2000 16:16:47 -0600
        From:
             "Jeremiah Merkl" <merkjj@uleth.ca>
          To:
             debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org

<snip>

this wouldn't be a problem, except the base system that I pulled down
(base-2_2.tgz from 2.2.13-2000-05-04)  is completely missing
/dev/hdc* and hdd. I thought it was funny that it had hda, hdb, and
hde, f, g and h, but no c or d.

So who gets the bug report?  base, base-files, base-config, or what?

I got around it by booting off the installer ramdisk again, jumping
to a shell, and then
  mount /dev/hdc8 /target
chroot /target /bin/bash  (didn't know if this was necessary for the
MAKEDEV script, but figured what the hell)
MAKEDEV hdc

and I rebooted back into linux again. No probs, and am finishing the
rest of the install.
<snip>

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
"Apparently if you play the Windows NT CD backwards you hear satanic messages"
"You think that's bad, if you play it forwards it installs Windows NT!"