Re: deb-ppc: can't switch to VTs using PowerBook

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 09:58:11PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I have a G4 and PowerBook (with Firewire).  I can switch virtual
> terminals with the G4 using apple-Fx key combinations, but I can't
> switch VTs with the PowerBook no matter what combination of keys I try.
>
> Do I need to hold down the "fn" key ?  This key is yellowish in colour
> and so is the Fx markings on the function keys.  I would have thought
> that the default would be the function key and the alternate functions
> (brightness, volume, etc) would be selected using the "fn" key.
>
> Do I have to get a special keyboard mapping from somewhere ?

By default.  You have to press Command-Fn and then the function key.  It is
important to press command first.  The interpretation seems to be done by
the keyboard controller.  Open Firmware initializes this early.

There is an NV setting that can make the function keys behave normally (and
you use Fn for brightness).  If you have MacOS bootable, you can change it
with the keyboard control panel.  If not, it is probably accessible from
Linux, but I don't know how to parse the NV memory.

David Brown