deb-ppc: can't switch to VTs using PowerBook

I have a G4 and PowerBook (with Firewire).  I can switch virtual
terminals with the G4 using apple-Fx key combinations, but I can't
switch VTs with the PowerBook no matter what combination of keys I try.

Do I need to hold down the "fn" key ?  This key is yellowish in colour
and so is the Fx markings on the function keys.  I would have thought
that the default would be the function key and the alternate functions
(brightness, volume, etc) would be selected using the "fn" key.

Do I have to get a special keyboard mapping from somewhere ?

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.