Including Xfree4.0 in potato/ppc (Was : Re: deb-ppc: X server debian packages ?)

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 06:20:17PM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 08:10:31PM -0400, Nelson Abramson wrote:
> > Clay Ginsburg wrote:
>
> > > as far as X not working, i think we can start a club :).
> > > Unfortunately i don't know enough to fix the stuff and people who do
> > > seem to be busy finishing up potato, so we are in a rock and hard
> > > place.
>
> I got X running on my powerbook with Xpmac.  I found the binary in an rpm.
> Does anyone know if there is source to this Xpmac.
>
> As far as I can tell, you must currently always boot the Lombard (that's
> the 1999 bronze keyboard powermac) with bootx.  The framebuffer driver
> doesn't seem to initialize it correctly if you use yaboot.
>
> I will probably try XF4 at some point.

About Xfree 4.

We could/should make an debian package containing only the server binary and
modules stuff, installeable into /usr/X11R6.4 so as not to break the normal X,
and configured to use /etc/X11/XF86Config.4. Maybe also include an example
XF86Config.4.

Flag it beta/untested or whatever, and include it as ppc onbly binary in
potato before it is released.

I would do it, i can do the source package, but cannot build for ppc right
now.

Any comments ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER