Re: gdb: Won't compile on PowerPC

I'm, cc'ing the bug too, so that the maintainer he's not in the dark as to
your doubts. All I know is that my patch at least worked for my simple CS
homework this afternoon, and fails on threaded apps in the same way the old
one did (presumably because i386-threads.patch did not get applied).

c@eskimo.com said:
> Great!  However, be aware that I was able to get gdb to compile by
> doing a ./configure and make with the raw tar file (without the Debian
> patches).  That gdb, however, was even more broken than the existing
> (4.18-1.1) version.  (Looking back at my original message to
> debian-ppc, I see that I did mention these problems.)

Well, one of the debian patches is called powerpc.bz2, maybe that's why. I
don't really know all that much about the inner workings off gdb though...

> I hope your changes work -- please let me know when you've made the
> diffs available.

I've sent them in (to bug 58450, and binaries are available from
southpole.penguinpowered.com). They unfortunately do nothing about the thread
problems - I have exactly the same behavior from mozilla as I had before (with
gdb_4.18-1.1), but they seem to work at least on the smoke-test level of a
2-file program, and provide a base for someone (maybe me) to try to get the
thread patch into shape. What kinds of problems did you see with the pure
upstream that I could look for to make sure having gotten the debian patches
to go helped?