netboot-capable pmacs (was Re: booting from openfirmware)

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 04:06:20PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Then you can grab the resulting file in arch/ppc/coffboot/vmlinux.coff
> which is a valid XCOFF image that old OFs can load. I use it to netboot a
> wallstreet powerbook when doing tests and it works just fine. Note that
> some versions of 2.2.13/2.2.14 has a bug that broke coff booting. I fixed
> this in recent kernels, so if you use my latest kernel or one compiled
> from Paul current rsync tree, it should work.

Since you've done some netbooting, i figured i'd ask ... do you know what
Mac models can be successfully booted from the network?  Apple says only
NewWorld macs, but a) that's for OS X's NetBoot Server b) it's Apple,
they lie c) obviously there's some OldWorld things that can netboot as
seen from your experience.  I've been screwing around with a 4400/200
but it seems not to even have an OF driver for its ethernet card
(DLINK-530 (Tulip)).  So obviously there are some that don't work as
well.  *grumble*  I kinda wish Apple would release ROM upgrades for
these flaky old machines...

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.