Re: building XF4 Server and driver so only?

All

so, I disabled the fbdriver and did a make World again, 45 minutes later (is
there an option to the make command so it actually uses make's dependances
and goes to where the compile crapped out or whatever and starts from there?

Heck what would be even nicer, is there a command so if you have a
dpkg-buildpackage thing, and it craps out during ocmpile, you then go fix
whatever it is, it then just compiles from that point onwrds, and doesn
clean and reconfigure the entire tree, when building large things like X it
is a pain to have it fail and have to do another dpkg-buildpackage
-rfakeroot and wait another hour or three.

Anyway at least this time with no fb driver enabled the server compiled and
all (this is compiling it the way michael suggested above, not using
dpkg-buildpackage or anything on a deb source tree)

However doing make install I got

install: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy: Too many levels of
symbolic links

error, of course looking at that file I notice it is symlinked to itself
(huh) oh well. So I remove the self referential symlink, run make install
again, and it seems to have worked, though I have no idea where the
ati_drv.o file has dissapeared to, and the make install has put X files all
over the computer, ick, but maybe just maybe it works, and hey, X Free 3.3.6
still works, now to see if I can get this XF 4 to run.

Oh yeah on a slightly different note, I did end up downloading the xfree
tarball branden has on his web page and attempting to dpkg-buildpackage it,
it crapped out trying to build the Wacom iinput tablet driver (which I
remember branden said he could get past one day on the list (around Dec 9)),
has the hack/fix/whatever to get past this been worked out?

(I ended up downloading the tarball at work and I grabbed it off the
computers there when I drove in to see the fireworks last night, we have a
nice view of Sydney harbour from our office (ie can see the whole harbough
pretty much) so it was a good display, though I bet it cost the government a
fortune, now why dont the governments make donations of that sort of money
towards debian or similar :)

Of course this is why I really really want to know how to make
dpkg-buildpackage keep making from where an error happens onwards once you
fix something.

Also anyone know how to add stuff to the X dist before doing the build
package step? I notice branden has the entire X source in one large tarball
xfree86-4.0.2/upstream/archives/xfree86-4.0.2.tar.gz

now initially I tried untarring this, putting in the latest rsync of ani
joshi's xfree86 Xserver hw drivers and tarring it back up, but the
dpkg-build complained about mismatched signatures or some such.

I notice in xfree86-4.0.2/debian there is a patches directory, I am thinking
this is maybe the right way (tm) to add in say a diff of the xfree86 driers
tree like I tried. Have yet to look at it in depth to work out how though.

Anyway going to try and work out how to make this XF4 server run.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/