Re: Playing cd on iBook

Charles Brunet wrote:

> I compiled kernel 2.4.0-test13-pre3 . I'm using potato distribution. X is
> not installed yet. My console is now able to "beep!". I installed cdtool.
> When I try to play a cd, I can heard the cd spinning, but no sound come to
> the speaker. I compiled my kernel with DMA sound (so I don't have modules to
> load). Sound devices are there. What am I missing?

The latest Apple machines don't have the CD ROM drive connected to the sound
hardware directly, so you need to use software which grabs the audio data and
then plays it. Some people use cdda2wav and a WAV player for that, but I seem
to remember there being a plugin for XMMS, search this list's archive for more
info.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project