Re: screen blanking different

Steven Hanley wrote:

> anyone know why when the screen blanking comes on on my new pismo...
>
> in console it goes completely black, as if the screen is no longer backlit
> (or aty least not as much (the apple on the back of the screen is not
> glowing as much)
>
> in X it stays backlit and very bright?
>
> can I change the X behavior? it seems that his is very wasteful of battery
> when it could go completely black when it blanks (I dont care for
> screensavers)

With 3.3.x you might be out of luck. Try enabling the powersaver features
though.

With 4.x, using Option "UseFBDev" in the Device Section and Option "DPMS" in
the Monitor Section should make X use the framebuffer devices' power saving
features. Beware though that AFAIK, switching the display on and off often may
decrease its life time so the way things are now may even be better.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project