Console or X4 on /dev/fb1?

Hello,

I'm in trouble, something between the Mach64 onboard video and the VGA->Sun
monitor cable just lost it.  Fortunately, I have a MacPicasso card which
doesn't have a working native framebuffer, but works somewhat with offb
(640x480, jacked up colors, but oh well).  But I can't get the console or
X4 to come up on it.  With X3 I could do "FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx", but
that doesn't seem to work with X4.

I tried building a new kernel without atyfb, but that just started offb
on both cards with /dev/fb0 on the ATI card. :-(

[The MacPicasso card has Mac monitor output, for which I have a working
cable to the sun monitor; it works fine in MacOS, and in Linux I get a white
screen with black border and black text: "copying OF device tree... done
booting..." but no console.]

Thanks,

-Adam P.

P.S. The openafs thing I wrote about yesterday needs a patch to the openafs
source from the maintainer which is currently unaccessible because a machine
at CMU is down...  I'll close that thread properly when I get X back.  (I
know, I should really use a text-based mail client. :-)