iBook framebuffer

I've been trying to recompile a 2.2.18 kernel that I grabbed from kernel.org.
The sites mention that everything was folded back into this version.

I want to turn on support for the iBook DV framebuffer (aty128fb).
I have turned on the ATI Mach64 and ATI Rage 128 FB support, but the
r128 modules fails to load due to dependency problems.  These errors
are both unresolved symbol errors for 'cmpxchg' and 'agp_enable'.

Are there are suggestions to follow?

I'm hoping that by enabling this, I can finally get X4 to startup
properly on my iBook.

Thanks.

Josh