Re: iBook install and ofboot.b

Drats. Replied just to Josh, not the list...

on 12/20/00 1:01 PM, Josh Bonczkowski at josh@bonczkowski.net wrote:

> I'm currently in the middle of an iBook DV (firewire) install and
> perhaps have hit a snag.  I am following the doc written by Hadess
> on installing on this particular machine.
>
> The part that is giving me problems is when it asks to make linux
> bootable from the hard disk.  The doc says to grab a shell and run
> a 'mkofboot' command with a '-m /target/etc/ofboot.b' option.
> The problem is that file does not exist.  I did a find for any
> ofboot.b files, and could not find one.  I also searched for all
> *.b files and found a few in the /target/boot/ directory; namely
> first.b, second.b and old.b.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Josh

I had the same problem when first installing. For some reason the filesystem
you create with the installer gets mounted under /target, so what i did was
mv the current /etc, /usr and /boot to something else (i just appended .old
to them) and then slinked the ones in /target to /etc, /usr and /boot. Then
edit the /etc/yaboot.conf file and run mkofboot -v -b
<your_bootstrap_partition>. That did it for me. Hope it works for you.

pH.

---
"There will be no more paper towels after july."

Pepijn Bruienne
Macintosh systems and network consultant
Internet and multimedia developer

Clogshoe Inc.
http://www.clogshoe.com
---