Re: Promise Ultra100 PCI adapter success

On  18 Dec, this message from jingai echoed through cyberspace:
> ..I went down to the local PC wholesale shop thing and got
> myself a Promise Ultra100 PCI card and an 20GB IDE drive
> (the two together were $150...... sure beat the $260 for a
> SCSI drive of the same size).  I was certain it wouldn't work,
> but lo and behold, it was probably one of the least painful
> things I've installed in a while :)  Two sets of kernel patches
> (Michel Lanner's PCI patches and Hedrik's IDE patches),
> one kernel build, and bingo, works like a charm.

Good to see I could help :-). For the record, the card should work
out-of-the-box with recent PPC 2.4 kernels; PCI patches and IDE stuff is
in there.

> Not to
> mention it's loads faster than my SCSI drives (mostly
> because they are on the int MESH SCSI controller, and
> I didn't feel like shelling out $300 for a good SCSI
> controller).

Why do you think I bougth the Ultra/66 in the first place?

;-)

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |