Re: new input layer

Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Sergio Brandano wrote:
> >
> > Ah. That  explains why the uparrow disappears every time I enable
> > mouse_button_emulation. By playing with it, I discovered that 103 is actually
> > the uparrow, which is also the mouse button 2. The funny thing is that,
> > at the same time, "showkey" maps F11 to 103.
>
> Because your keyboard is using ADB keycodes and your mouse emulation is
> expecting _Linux_ keycodes.
>
> Has any of you read this page about the PPC Input layer ?!
> http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html

Yes, went through the whole thing and still didn't understand this.  For example,
it says, "For backwards compatibility, the deprecated adb_buttons= kernel argument
still uses ADB keycodes" but this is clearly failing for everyone.

I had thought there were now two mappings: ADB (for compatibility, e.g. in
.Xmodmap) and "Linux", which is why we use "IMPS/2" as the X mouse mapping...

So I went to an i386 box with PS/2 keyboard, did xmodmap -pke, and the resulting
mapping of course had nothing to do with the mouse button emulation codes.  The
PS/2 mouse is the "Linux" standard, but has nothing to do with the keyboard.  Why
not just a new "Linux" mouse standard too?

So now to deal with an ADB (or other non-PS/2) input system, we need to work with
three sets of standards: ADB, PS/2, and "Linux"- the last of which is part PS/2 and
part something completely different?  And such standby tools as showkey are
broken?  And this in a kernel-image in r2?  Sure, that will be perfectly clear to
everyone the first time.

> And, for F*ck's sake read the page. That's one week that you're talking
> about things that are explained on this page...

Maybe you should get some netiquette.  Saying stupid things like this just gets
people mad at you, and puts Debian in a bad light.

With breakage this bad mid-release in stable, and documentation this poor, I expect
the confused posts will continue for another month or two.  Learn to deal with it,
or just use the "delete" button.

-Adam P.