Re: debian-powerpc: web browsers with java enabled

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Michael Flaig wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:20:48PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> > > I can't find a browswer that has Java enabled.  I'm currently using
> > > Mozilla which is quite buggy but is orders of magnitudes better than the
> > > previous debian version.
> >
> > netscape is java ready ...
> >
> > install netscape-java... and it should work.
> >
> > > Does anyone know of any browsers for powerpc with Java capabilities or
> > > how to get Mozilla to support Java ?
> >
> > Mozilla ... I think it would be a better idea to install netscape 4.7 and
> > netscape-java ...
>
> And have you found any page with a Java applet that doesn't crash it? I
> haven't. ;)
>
> AFAIK it should be possible to get the Mozilla Java plugin working, look at
> http://www.blackdown.org . It would probably involve building stuff yourself
> or messing with RPMs though.
>
> > > I also would like security (I guess this means SSL but there might be
> > > other options).  Any clues ??
> >
> > SSL isnt in Mozilla, yet. You should use netscape with 128bit encycryption
> > is it already in netscape ? perhaps you will need the fourtify plugin.
>
> Konqueror also has crypto and Java (provided you get any JDK or JRE running,
> again look at blackdown).
>
> Moreover, Netscape plugins are working with both Mozilla and Konqueror, but
> not with Netscape. How ironic.

As a followup, I installed the 1.3 JRE from Blackdown, it's easy as can be. It
even worked in Konqueror right away, Mozilla also shows it in about:plugins,
but it didn't work for some reason, I'll have to look into that.

Michel, getting closer to life after Netscape each day :)

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project