Re: debian-powerpc: web browsers with java enabled

Michael Flaig wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:20:48PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> > I can't find a browswer that has Java enabled.  I'm currently using
> > Mozilla which is quite buggy but is orders of magnitudes better than the
> > previous debian version.
>
> netscape is java ready ...
>
> install netscape-java... and it should work.
>
> > Does anyone know of any browsers for powerpc with Java capabilities or
> > how to get Mozilla to support Java ?
>
> Mozilla ... I think it would be a better idea to install netscape 4.7 and
> netscape-java ...

And have you found any page with a Java applet that doesn't crash it? I
haven't. ;)

AFAIK it should be possible to get the Mozilla Java plugin working, look at
http://www.blackdown.org . It would probably involve building stuff yourself
or messing with RPMs though.

> > I also would like security (I guess this means SSL but there might be
> > other options).  Any clues ??
>
> SSL isnt in Mozilla, yet. You should use netscape with 128bit encycryption
> is it already in netscape ? perhaps you will need the fourtify plugin.

Konqueror also has crypto and Java (provided you get any JDK or JRE running,
again look at blackdown).

Moreover, Netscape plugins are working with both Mozilla and Konqueror, but
not with Netscape. How ironic.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project