Re: Working XF86Config for Beige G3

> I tried startx &> xlog, but that of course resulted in a kernel
> panic, following which fsck put my home directory and everything
> in it in /lost&found....

Don't you just love X? Back up your system before debugging a bad X
server.
I only had the kernel crash real hard once while debugging the atyfb
problems though (out of over 20 panics). Most of the time there was
nothing to repair.

> I've recovered most of my important stuff, but not the xlog of
> course, and I'm a little gunshy of trying it again.  Do you

Sync a few times before starting X, ummount any non essential filesystems,
and log the X output to a serial device. Serial console support might be a
good idea as well, just to capture kernel panic messages that might occur.

	Michael