Re: Working XF86Config for Beige G3

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:57:32AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> The X server output is at /var/log/XFree86.0.log anyway, and you can minimize
> filesystem damage as well as maximize log output by remounting your filesystem
> in synchronous mode before trying to start X.

Thanks for the tip.. synchronous mode is a completely new
concept for me.  Would I get there by using this?

	mount -o remount,sync /

I'll spend some more time reading man mount before I try it.

> >   Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
> >     VGA compatible controller: ATI Mach64 GT (Rage II) (rev 154).
>
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Graphics Device"
> >         BusID "PCI:0:18:0"
> >         Driver "fbdev"
> > EndSection
>
> This looks sane. I guess you need Michael Schmitz' kernel patch (I guess
> you're booting with BootX, right?) or a 2.4 kernel.

Absolutely right, I figured bootx was doing it, and mistook the
quirky pci option in the kernel config for Michael's patch..

Can you point me to it?  I've looked through the November and
December archives with no luck.  Is it further back?

Thanks again.  I really appreciate the help.

Mark

--
-- mark at outlook dot net
-- Outlook Technologies is in *no way* affiliated with Microsoft