Re: Working XF86Config for Beige G3

Mark Jaroski wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:08:33AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Mark Jaroski wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running a custom 2.2.18pre21 kernel, with the PCI quirk
> > > option turned on (which I thought was the fix)..
> > >
> > > Anyhow the ati driver gives my a signal 11 error, and the fbdev
> > > driver causes a kernel panic.
> >
> > The fbdev driver absolutely needs a correct bus ID.
> >
> > Please show us the relevant parts of your XF86Config and the log(s).
>
> Thanks Michel!
>
> Unfortunatly I haven't been able to capture a log from startx
> when using fbdev.
>
> I tried startx &> xlog, but that of course resulted in a kernel
> panic, following which fsck put my home directory and everything
> in it in /lost&found....

I'm sorry about that.

The X server output is at /var/log/XFree86.0.log anyway, and you can minimize
filesystem damage as well as maximize log output by remounting your filesystem
in synchronous mode before trying to start X.

>   Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
>     VGA compatible controller: ATI Mach64 GT (Rage II) (rev 154).

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Generic Graphics Device"
>         BusID "PCI:0:18:0"
>         Driver "fbdev"
> EndSection

This looks sane. I guess you need Michael Schmitz' kernel patch (I guess
you're booting with BootX, right?) or a 2.4 kernel.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project