Re: status report: working X, working X permissions, kernel compilation

Phil Fraering wrote:

> Also, my final stupid of the day was to clean out /usr/src/linux
> and unload a tarball in there of a development kernel, and then
> read the README which tells you not to do that. Some days I can
> only laugh at myself. This isn't 1.0.x slackware any more, I guess.
>
> Is there an easy way to put /usr/src/linux back the way it should
> be, and possibly never was, quite?

/usr/src/linux isn't part of Debian, you can put there whatever you like.

Other distros rely on /usr/src/linux being the source tree of the running
kernel, but Debian doesn't have that bug.

> One more thing... does anyone here have a "favorite" kernel they're
> using?

The recent 2.4 kernels from Paulus have been working very well for me.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project