Re: status report: working X, working X permissions, kernel compilation

> > I'm running into glitches regarding available versions of gnome-panel
> > and gnome-panel-data. I have added the idorulabs source line to
> > /etc/apt/sources.dist.

> > gnome-panel depends on gnome-panel-data >= 1.2.1-helix2 ;
> > gnome-panel-data depens on gnome-panel >= 1.2.4-3.

> >From what I can tell, this is a circular dependency.  There are updates
> available for both but neither will update the other because each depends
> on the other :)  My solution would be to manually delete both packages,
> then obtain the latest (1.2.4-3 or higher from debian, not
> idorulabs).  Unfortunately, neither debian nor idorulabs has the latest
> GNOME packages - they both have some that are more up to date than
> others.  And their package names aren't always the same.  I'm hoping
> Helixcode releases offical PPC debs soon.

I fixed the problem by downloading the 1.2.4 debs from hadess.net and
using them. I thought apt would automatically select them because
hadess.net's gnome stuff precedes all the other sources in sources.list.

But now lots of gnome stuff works.

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net