status report: working X, working X permissions, kernel compilation

For those who were curious, I thought I'd just provide a brief
progress report.

The old "Phase 5" .deb of xserver-xfree86 worked fine.

X permissions are, as someone else previously reported, in
/etc/X11/Xsession instead of elsewhere.

I'm running into glitches regarding available versions of gnome-panel
and gnome-panel-data. I have added the idorulabs source line to
/etc/apt/sources.dist.

gnome-panel depends on gnome-panel-data >= 1.2.1-helix2 ;
gnome-panel-data depens on gnome-panel >= 1.2.4-3.

Suggestions welcome.

Also, my final stupid of the day was to clean out /usr/src/linux
and unload a tarball in there of a development kernel, and then
read the README which tells you not to do that. Some days I can
only laugh at myself. This isn't 1.0.x slackware any more, I guess.

Is there an easy way to put /usr/src/linux back the way it should
be, and possibly never was, quite?

One more thing... does anyone here have a "favorite" kernel they're
using?

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net