Re: problems with perl 5.6 and debconf

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 08:08:08PM +0000, Georg Bauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The current woody is borken regarding perl5.6: most packages are still
> 5.005, so 5.6 programs usually won't work since there are not enough
> packages for basic tasks. So some programs barf if your perl 5.6 is your
> default perl (btw: why is there no alternative system installed on my
> machine? I had to install the alternatives to switch my perls by hand,
> /usr/bin/perl was a hard link to /usr/bin/perl-5.6.0). After fixing
> that, most debhelper tools and other stuff works again. But now debconf
> doesn't work. Debconf uses some modules that use perl 5.6 features, so
> my default 5.005 doesn't work. But switching to 5.6 as default doesn't
> work, too.
>
> Aaaaargh.
>
> Anybody has the last debconf that's _not_ 5.6 dependend available? So I
> can install that and set it to hold so that apt-get upgrade doesn't
> stomp all over it next upgrade?

Bad idea.

If you were to stop and read the Perl 5.6 changelog, you'd notice that
older perls are not being supported.  We're phasing over to use one
version of perl everywhere.  That's why it was a hardlink.

I would argue that "most" packages are not still 5.005; I have a perl
5.6 system running flawlessly.  What is causing you problems?

> It's not as if debconf is of any value to the debian configuration
> system ...

Almost everyone else seems to disagree with you.  Debconf -is- the
Debian configuration system.

Dan