problems with perl 5.6 and debconf

Hi!

The current woody is borken regarding perl5.6: most packages are still
5.005, so 5.6 programs usually won't work since there are not enough
packages for basic tasks. So some programs barf if your perl 5.6 is your
default perl (btw: why is there no alternative system installed on my
machine? I had to install the alternatives to switch my perls by hand,
/usr/bin/perl was a hard link to /usr/bin/perl-5.6.0). After fixing
that, most debhelper tools and other stuff works again. But now debconf
doesn't work. Debconf uses some modules that use perl 5.6 features, so
my default 5.005 doesn't work. But switching to 5.6 as default doesn't
work, too.

Aaaaargh.

Anybody has the last debconf that's _not_ 5.6 dependend available? So I
can install that and set it to hold so that apt-get upgrade doesn't
stomp all over it next upgrade?

It's not as if debconf is of any value to the debian configuration
system ...

bye, Georg

--
http://www.westfalen.de/hugo/