Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Sergio Brandano wrote:

> Too bad, dear Michel. There is no way that I can read the DOC file.

That's why I also included it in ASCII. You're welcome.

> The message included in clear text refers to yaboot as the solution of all
> problems, but I am using BootX and installing yaboot sounds a little
> extreme.

Fine, getting things to work with BootX has also been covered several times
here.

> Thank you all, for your attempts to ask my questions regarding the specific
> issue. I will install the programs I need in the MacOS partition and go
> forward with it until the correct binaries are in place, and they will
> hopefully work for the Lombard, one day in the third Millennium...

Sorry, I don't follow you.

> Regarding the other messages on apologies etc, I remember receiving a very
> pacificatory message from what I assume was the moderator, for which I can
> be blamed for reaction, and a certain other person can be blamed for
> triggering my reaction in the first place, and a number of other people
> confirming it.
> Then I remember somebody apologising, and then myself accepting it.
> Unfortunately I was (and I am still doing it, to a certain extent) I was
> struggling with a broken system (that motivated my original request for
> help) and a text e-mail client on another machine, so I really do not know
> to who I was writing to in the first place, although my answers were
> strictly related to the replied message.

You didn't refer to anything.

> I believe the mail client did the rest, by posting my reply to the right
> person, and I apologise if this was not the case.

It was addressed to me so I assumed you were talking to me.

> I also remember sending a very explanatory message, where I explained what
> is my own way to help. Although the mailing list archives are useful when
> hunting for FAQs, and I do use them, it is not always easy to find what you
> are looking for, and sometimes (like in my present case) it is not even
> possible.

I disagree. And even if it was true, just by reading this lists' posts in the
last few months you should have gathered an idea of what is involved in
getting X 4 to work on Lombards IMHO.

> The way I proceed is to compile a web page with concrete help for those
> problems I've managed to reduce to solutions. By "concrete" I mean something
> along the line of "install the package X" including a version number if it
> is necessary, with detailed instructions on how to configure and/or with
> my own configuration files that are one click away. I am always improving
> the page, and I am always available to reply to private requests of help.
> This way of proceding has been proven quite successful in the last two
> years; so successful that the page in question was scoring in the top five
> of our sites for quite some time.

Congratulations. I don't have time to compile such a page myself. Nor do I
have the intention. My philosophy is to help people to learn help themselves.

> I do not hunt for credits, I only hunt for happy people.

Just like I do.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project