Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Sergio Brandano wrote:

> I am returning from an unsuccessful attempt to create a bootable
> floppy. The reason is that at OF time, I can not specify "zip:yaboot".
> The reason is that ... I do not have a ZIP drive, and the parameter
> does not work for my SuperFloppy. (SF is a 120Mb internal
> floppy drive on /dev/hdc )
>
> I am stuck and in real troubles. I have work to do before the end
> of the week, and I need to have this video back. Is there anything
> that you have in mind and I can try?

Looking for a Word document on this box to test kword with it, I found the
attached text. Hope it helps.

I forgot who posted it to the list, please speak up to claim your credits! :)

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project
I've been fighting with XF4 on my Lombard for a while now and have made some headway. I'm posting this for those having the same troubles as I had.

First, thanks a million to Michel Schmitz and Michel Dänzer, who answered a lot of (stupid) questions. These two are exemplary of why the Open Source community is !

Anyway, here;s how I got things to work:

Use yaboot to avoid PCI register overlaps created by OF and BootX.

Get a fresh copy of linux-pmac-stable off linuxppc.org.

Substitute the ~/drivers/video/atyfb.c file with the one attached to this posting.

Configure with ati and fbdev support, make and install (including modules)

Make sure you use runlevel 3 to tool around in.

Get Ani's XF86-4 source off linuxppc.org

sync the Xserver section and update the Xfree86.cf file as posted on Ani's X-page on linuxppc.org.

Make and install.

Substitute the ~/modules/hw/drivers/video/ati_drv.o file with the one attached to this posting.

Put the XF86Config file attached to this posting in the /etc/X11 directory

Startx and enjoy great accellerated graphics (plus all the bugs I've not discovered yet).