Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Too bad, dear Michel. There is no way that I can read the DOC file. The message
included in clear text refers to yaboot as the solution of all problems, but I am
using BootX and installing yaboot sounds a little extreme. I've tried with a boot
floppy, but OF does not like it, and re-formatting the HardDisk if off-topic.
Recompiling XF4 from source is also off-topic.

Thank you all, for your attempts to ask my questions regarding the specific issue.
I will install the programs I need in the MacOS partition and go forward with it
until the correct binaries are in place, and they will hopefully work for the Lombard,
one day in the third Millennium...

Regarding the other messages on apologies etc, I remember receiving a very
pacificatory message from what I assume was the moderator, for which I can
be blamed for reaction, and a certain other person can be blamed for triggering
my reaction in the first place, and a number of other people confirming it.
Then I remember somebody apologising, and then myself accepting it.
Unfortunately I was (and I am still doing it, to a certain extent) I was struggling
with a broken system (that motivated my original request for help) and a text
e-mail client on another machine, so I really do not know to who I was writing
to in the first place, although my answers were strictly related to the replied
message. I believe the mail client did the rest, by posting my reply to the right
person, and I apologise if this was not the case.

I also remember sending a very explanatory message, where I explained what
is my own way to help. Although the mailing list archives are useful when
hunting for FAQs, and I do use them, it is not always easy to find what you
are looking for, and sometimes (like in my present case) it is not even possible.
The way I proceed is to compile a web page with concrete help for those
problems I've managed to reduce to solutions. By "concrete" I mean something
along the line of "install the package X" including a version number if it is
necessary, with detailed instructions on how to configure and/or with
my own configuration files that are one click away. I am always improving the
page, and I am always available to reply to private requests of help. This way
of proceding has been proven quite successful in the last two years; so successful
that the page in question was scoring in the top five of our sites for quite some time.
I do not hunt for credits, I only hunt for happy people.

Merry Christmas, and happy new millennium, if we do not cross in this mailing
list in the near future.

Best regards,
Sergio