Re: Booting on a hfs partition for oldworld

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 08:48:56PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Hmm, ok.  Although, why did my hfs boot floppy still work after I mounted it on
> macos?

macos is tolerant of floppies, not disk partitions.  this is probably
becuase old macos boot floppies were also heavily modified and would
appear to be invalid macos.  macos will not tolerate a fake or
incomplete macos system folder and will disable it, consistently.

> Actually, it didn't start working until I started using partition zero.  I'll
> have to try this again on the other 8500 and 7200s I have here.

it should work either way...

> I've compiled a kernel and made a boot floppy, already.  Is there a way to use
> one without modifying OF?

you could try booting into OF and booting an xcoff kernel off the
floppy.  no guarentees that it will work.  and you will probably need
a serial console to interact with OF.  many oldworld macs did not have
a video driver for OF.

> The kernel on the floppy is much smaller, less than 1 MB.  I am in the process
> of compiling a new kernel now.  Do I need any patches, or is stock 2.2.17 ok?

stock 2.2.17 or 2.2.18 seem to work fine on powermacs now.  they might
need some patches for the very recent models...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/