Re: Booting on a hfs partition for oldworld

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:21:36PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get my 7300 to boot from the hard drive using quik, and
> I'm wondering if I am doing everything right.
>
> Are there any step by step docs specifically for debian?  The only docs I could
> find are for redhat...

there is not much documentation no, i have posted some info to the
lists from what i have found out helping people over email and irc.
but since i have never done a quik setup firsthand i haven't written
anything difinitive.

> What exactly is happening with quik?  Is it telling OF to read an ext2 partition
> for the kernel?  That doesn't make much sence, since OF doesn't know about
> ext2.  Does the kernel need to be on a hfs partition on the hard drive?

quik has ext2 filesystem support built into itself, so happens is
this:

OF loads the boot block from the root partition, this boot block
contains a blocklist for the quik second stage which is in
/boot/second.b (on the ext2 root filesystem) once second stage is
loaded its executed and reads the ext2 filesystem to find
/etc/quik.conf which is parses to find the image name it should load
(the kernel) normally /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18 or whatever.  it then reads
the kernel off the ext2 root filesystem and executes it and passes
control to it.  from which point on linux has taken over and brings
the system up.

> I have tried it with one partition, the kernel on / and it still won't boot.
> I've tried a /boot partition with no booting.

quik expects /boot to NOT be its own partition, i think its possible
to make it work that way but i don't reccommend it.  the other thing i
have observed is quik might not work with symlinks reliably, so i tell
people to specify a full path to the real kernel image in
/etc/quik.conf  the kernel image should be in /boot and /boot should
be on the / partition which is ext2fs.

> I am also getting conflicting information.  In the debian install docs I need to
> run "nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda3`" which would be correct for me, but ofpath
> isn't even on the boot floppy!  I had to chroot into /target and setup apt-get
> to download and install yaboot.

you have older boot floppies then, ofpath should be on 2.2.19 and new
boot floppies.  the base system that comes with 2.2.19 boot floppies
also has the current yaboot package which has ofpath.

> Can anyone help solve some of these problems?

you using current documentation with obsolete boot floppies.  download
current boot floppies (2.2.19 or later).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/