USB mouse in X

Hi,

I've just installed potato on a Mac 9500, and it's all (more or less) OK except for the mouse. This is a Logitech USB mouse attached to an Entrega PCI card. The combination worked fine under LinuxPPC and YDL, btw. The puzzling part is that _occasionally_ the mouse will move for a few seconds, then nothing. No response to clicks. I'd assume it was a hardware problem except that it's fine under MacOS and was fine, as i said, with other distros. I've tried all kinds of settings in XF86Config; it's currently set to IMPS/2 protocol, with /dev/mouse symlinked to /dev/usbmouse.

Any clues, anyone? Could any other misconfigured part of XF86Config be affecting the mouse?

thanks,
Tim