Re: Sound on a PowerMac

Michael,

Thanks for your response.

I tried your suggestions, but still no audio.  Here is what I have thus
far:
  1. The sound hardware is installed.
  2. How can I tell if the kernel module has been loaded?
  3. "cat vmlinuz > /dev/dsp" returns "bash: /dev/dsp: No such device"
  4. I added myself to the audio group
  5. "ps ax | grep esd" returns nothing
  6. Issuing esd returns "/dev/dsp: No such device"

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:47:50 Michael Flaig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is sound Hardware installed ?
> - kernel Module loaded ?
> - Can you do this: " cat vmlinuz > /dev/dsp " ?
>
> Are you in group audio?
> - in /etc/group:
> audio:x:29:<loginname>
>
> If everything is configured well you can do this:
>
> look if esd ÷?ù?DATA
is running : "ps ax | grep esd"
> if not ...
> Start X and enlightenment. Go to Xterm and start the E Sound Daemon manually
with "esd"
> perhaps you have to restart enlightenment.
>
> Hope it´s running now ...
>
> cu,
> mfl
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 09:58:46AM -0800, Donnell wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I recently installed GNU/Linux 2.2 on a PowerComputing PowerBase 180.  I
am using Enlightenment as the window manager.  I can't get any sound.
When I choose "Settings:Audio Settings..." and select "Enable sounds,"
I encounter the following error message:

> >   Error initialising sound
> >   Audio was enabled for Enlightenment but there was an error
> >   communicating with the audio server (Esound). Audio will
> >   now be disabled.
> >
> > I didn't see any startup messages in the log pertaining to sound problems.
 Where should I begin looking in order to fix this problem?  What could
be the cause of it?