Re: CHRP boot disks

On Nov 19, Cort Dougan <cort@fsmlabs.com> wrote:

 >} Why is serial console support missing? The most common CHRP systems are
 >} not shipped with frame buffers (I've lost a whole day before noticing
 >} that :-( ).
 >What chrp systems are those?  I don't know of any chrps that don't have a
 >vga device of some sort.
It's a IBM B50. It *can* have a video card, just does not have one by
default and I'm not sure if a generic PCI card will work.

 >16550 serial support doesn't work when running on a powermac (causes a
 >machine check).
The SuSE boot disk works fine with the serial console.
I tried loading the debian root image with this kernel but slang
complained it could not initialise the screen (so cfdisk did not work)
and the shell could be started by did not work (it did not accept any
command).

I was desperate enough to try installing SuSE too, but I could not find
on ftp.suse.com the files needed by the install program.

--
ciao,
Marco