Re: need help for testing a patch in a package

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 10:59:13PM +0000, Hadess wrote:
> > As far as I know, a CD player that doesn't rely on reading raw data from
> > the CD (even though I'm not sure it would be a problem either) would
> > work equally well on all arches Linux supports.
>
> it's an endianess issue and i want to test it whether it works on
> other systems too. i just have access to x86 systems, so have to
> rely on others.

Most CD players don't read raw audio data from the CD to feed them into
the sound hardware's DA converters, they rather tell the CD to start
playing some track, and tell the sound hardware to connect the CD drive's
audio output to the amplifier. That part ought to work fine regardless of
endianness. We don't know how your CD player works, but endianness might
not really be an issue. A look at the source might help decide that (and
the URL for the package source would help me to take a look at the
source).

I'm not sure someone has tried a CD player on PPC that works without the
CD audio signal. This problem has surfaced on c.o.l.powerpc when Apple
started shipping machines without the CD audio signal connected to the
mixer, a month or two ago. A search on deja should turn something up.

	Michael