Re: Netscape package

C.M. Connelly wrote:

"PAN" == Pål Are Nordal <a_blip@bigfoot.com>
"CMC" == C.M. Connelly <c@eskimo.com>

    CMC>  I'm really looking forward to a stable Mozilla....

    PAN> Well, I haven't got my iMac up and running with Debian
    PAN> yet, but on my AMD K6-2, Mozilla Milestone 18 is as
    PAN> stable as a rock, with a few slowdowns here and there
    PAN> being the main indication that this isn't finished yet.

Yes, Mozilla looks pretty good on my partner's PC running Linux,
but I've had pretty much no luck at all on PPC.  The version I
compiled myself (from the -1 Debian source) was so slow as to be
unusable, and the binary packages I downloaded from the archive
(-2) don't actually let me load any page but the readme.  (That
is, I type a URL into the box, hit return, and Mozilla reloads the
readme; changing the home page to some URL, saving the
preferences, and then hitting home also just reloads the readme
file.)

I have to take another stab at it, and see if I'm still having
problems before I file any bug reports, but I'm pretty
disappointed, as M17 seemed better (if slower than the -2
version).

I compiled M18 and it is pretty good and I think faster than M17. There are some compiler optimizations that the configurator can generate for you. See:

http://webtools.mozilla.org/build/config.cgi

I don't have any problems loading pages; when I type a URL into the box, Mozilla does reload it. So I don't think it is a bug.

-- Taro