Re: porting troubles

Quoting Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>:

> > > Using Wine _is_ x86 specific in the sense that Wine emulates enough
> of
> > > the
> > > Windows low level API to let x86 code including DLLs run on Linux.
> To my
> > > knowledge, there is no port of Wine to another architecture. You
> cpould
> > > argue Wine can be run under some x86 emulator - does making Windows
> apps
> > > run on VirtualPC constitute a Linux port?
> >
> > Yes, using wine -as an emulator- is x86 specific. Using wine as what
> it's
> > intended in the first place, a library, is not x86 specific. As long
> as you are
>
> That's winelib (which I may have mentioned in passing, as in 'Corel
> didn't
> use winelib but wine') for all I understand. Porting using winelib would
> be fine, but that would make all the DLLs disappear, wouldn't it?

They used winelib. That's the only way to create Linux native applications.
Winelib could be considered the same level as KDE+Qt or Gnome+GTK. It's just
that Windows being clumsy (it's the above plus X-Window, and the Linux Kernel),
it doesn't help Wine and Winelib-based applications to be faster (see the Wine
Kernel Cousin and Kernel Traffic, for recent news about how they're gonna speed
this up).

/Hadess
http://hadess.net