Re: Motorola Starmax 3000/180, RTL 8139/8029, and a /big/ quandary

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:47:48AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Kurt Raschke wrote:
> >
> > So, what's involved in doing the null modem PPP install?  I've already got a
> > cable that I can use to connect my i386 box and my Starmax, but I don't know
> > how to set up a PPP server, nor do I know how to get the installation
> > program to use a null-modem connection.  Note that I'm talking about the
> > program that runs after the system reboots on its own.
>
> A PPP connection over a null modem cable is basically a 'normal' PPP
> connection. You need almost the same /etc/ppp/options file (just reverse the
> IP addresses ;) on both ends: disable authentication, dialing (use an empty
> dial script e.g.) etc.
>

> Michel
>

> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)  \  CS student and free software enthusiast
> Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project
I think I understand how to set up the server on my i386 box.  However, what do I do on my PPC box?  When I boot into Linux, I get the post-install program that asks you how you plan to install the rest of the system.  I'm assuming that if I select PPP, I'll get a configurator that will assume a normal modem connection.  So, what do I do there?

-Kurt