Motorola Starmax 3000/180, RTL 8139/8029, and a /big/ quandary

Dear debian users:
I've been struggling with debian-powerpc for a couple of days, and I've running into a number of bugs.  I don't have a debian cd, or a cd-burner, so I'm doing a network install.  So, I downloaded the files prescribed by the installation docs, and got a base install going.  I've got two Ethernet cards installed in the box, one with an RTL 8029 chip, and the other with an RTL8139 chip.  Unfortunately, neither of them are supported by the base kernel.  I do have the RTL8139 card working under the MacOS, so that's not a problem.

	I've heard of people cross-compiling for the PowerPC, and I do have an i386/Linux box.  So, I suppose that somehow I could compile a new kernel on my i386 box, and move it to the PPC box, but I really don't want to do that, so what are my options?

-Kurt