Re: making a cd bootable for a mac

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 03:30:52PM -0500, Garry Roseman wrote:
> You probably never got a blessed system folder.  Even if the CD has a
> good boot-time driver and has a valid MaOS System Folder it won't
> boot if MacOS never "blessed" that folder.  Many people neglect this
> because in their work making bootable CDs they often bless the new
> system folder quite accidentally and don't know that it is necessary.
> It IS necessary.
>
> (So how do you "bless" a system folder?  You mount the new volume
> under _MacOS_ while it is still writeable and another MacOS volume is
> booted, i.e. the CD-ROM image is still in the form of a Disk Copy r/w
> image, and you double-click on its System Folder.  Re-close the
> folder.  Observe that it gains a Mac smile face -- the Finder has
> recorded some magic information in the directory.  NOW burn that
> image to CD-R.)

Or you use hfsutils under a real operating system:  hattrib -b means
bless.

The relevant folder on the CD is indeed blessed in the image build
process.  It's possible that someone built the ISOs with an old version
of debian-cd without the hfs utilities installed, which is why I asked
where his image came from.

Dan