Re: Dual boot - MacOS / Debian

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:30:45PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:01:14PM -0400, Brian Almeida wrote:

> the bootstrap partition must be the first partition on the first disk
> lest you be forced to dick around in OpenFirmware.
>
> i would reccommend giving the entire first disk to Debian and the
> second disk to MacOS.  this way the first disk need not have all that
> driver partition garbage.  and you won't have to fsck with OF.

Goodness, it isn't that hard.

You can put yaboot, and its config file at the top level of the boot
partition.  Boot the script there too (pick the one that lets you select
macos).  Then just set your boot device to "hd:,\\yaboot".  Since the file
is specified explicitly in in OF, it doesn't need to be blessed, and it
doesn't matter if it gets unblessed.  The only real difficulty to this is
that changing the yaboot.conf file has to be done on the MacOS partition
(the kernels are on ext2fs, and nothing needs to be run when they change).

If there is interest, I can post my OF settings, and the contents of my
config files.

Dave Brown