Dual boot - MacOS / Debian

Ok, I've been reading the list archives all day and I'm at least a little
more familiar with the process, but still am not certain.

I've recently acquired a G4 through work.  It's got a zip disk and 2 18GB scsi
disks.  Right now MacOS 9 is on disk 1, and disk 2 is empty.  I'd like to have
one disk for MacOS and the other for Debian.  My question is, do I need to blow
away the first drive in order to set up the bootstrap partition, or can I do it
on the second drive, and then use the mac control panel to tell it to boot off
the second drive?  Or do I need to wipe the first drive, then create a
bootstrap partition, then install macos, then install debian on the second
drive?  The machine is fairly pristine, and I have the MacOS 9 install disk.  I
also have a potato CD that I made today from yesterday's archive, but it is not
bootable (I forgot to have hfsutils installed).  What would be the recommended
course of action here?  I really have no preference what OS goes on what disk.
This is my first real stab at installing a dual-boot machine on a platform
other than i386, so I may be unaware of the capabilities of the mac hardware.
Advice/Suggestions/etc appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

--