Re: Paul's 2.2.15 does not boot a 7200

>I see no reason why they wouldn't work with quick/yaboot since the
>decompressor is embedded in the boot image as well. Hence the boot loader is
>not aware that there's any compression.
>
>BTW, is there no `decompressing kernel image' output on PowerMac? It's
>possible
>that it's not visible on PowerMacs with inferior OF and only serial OF
>support.
>And how large is your boot image? Is it smaller than `vmlinux'?

There are a few issues with embedded-decompressors and OF bootloaders.
One of them is the new bootinfo-mecanism, which I _think_ will cause
problems with current head-decompressors. Also, the head-decompressor
tends to play with BAT mappings, which newer OF don't like very much.

So for use with yaboot, I don't recommend using a compressed image (at
least not until I've ironed out the problems). quik should work fine with
coff images.

BootX and miBoot both work with compressed images of the form
"miboot.image" (generated in arch/ppc/coffboot when doing make zImage).
Those images are slightly-modified compressed images, they don't have a
built-in decompressor (BootX and miBoot will do the work) and they store
the kernel in a separate xcoff section so the bootloader can locate it
(which is not the case with the new format compressed images, this was
changed by Paul around 2.2.14 I think)

Ben.