Re: Booting of PPC Installation on PowerPC/Mac impossible?

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 10:31:58PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Can anybody send me the man page of quik (I do not have an installed Debian
> powerpc system) and quik.conf?

Sure.  <in a separate email>.

> I've seen the example configuration at http://www.debian.de/Lists-Archives/debi
> an-powerpc-0004/msg00030.html and it seems to be pretty similar to lilo. And I
> think it is worth to try to run it from the second console.
>
> I am wondering if there is an option to boot from the sda2 with the
> boot-floppy-hfs.img? When I used it to install the system, a TUX came up, but
> no option for kernel boot parameters like in the i386 rescue disc.

Nope.  The bootloader does not currently support arguments.  Well, it
does, if you are flexible with a hex editor - look through it for a
kernel command line (video=<something> root=0200, I think).  There'll
be two; I believe you boot to the second by holding down option.

> When I booted with the resue floppy (when macos was still installed), it was
> simply ejected. So what is the purpose of the rescue floppy in the power mac
> discs?

None, for booting; a kernel is copied off it by the installer.  This
also needs to be documented.

Dan