Re: potato install

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 04:16:47PM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> ...wow...that was slick. I did a network install, and only had one problem.
>
> Installed on a G3-all-in-one 233MHz, 96M ram, using BootX (will
> switch to yaboot soon).

make sure you create a 800K Apple_Bootstrap type bootstrap partition
as the first partition on the disk.

> As it turns out, this machine (at least mine, I don't know about all
> of them) is a little unique in that the internal HD is hdc, and the
> CD is hda.

wierd, its funny i have yet to see a powermac that has hdc used, on my
blue G3 the cdrom is on secondary master but the device is hde, unlike
intel where it would be hdc.  what gives?

> this wouldn't be a problem, except the base system that I pulled down
> (base-2_2.tgz from 2.2.13-2000-05-04)  is completely missing
> /dev/hdc* and hdd. I thought it was funny that it had hda, hdb, and
> hde, f, g and h, but no c or d.

probably because most machines don't seem to use these devices.. you
should be able to create them yourself...

> So who gets the bug report?  base, base-files, base-config, or what?

not sure..

> I got around it by booting off the installer ramdisk again, jumping
> to a shell, and then
>   mount /dev/hdc8 /target
> chroot /target /bin/bash  (didn't know if this was necessary for the
> MAKEDEV script, but figured what the hell)
> MAKEDEV hdc
>
> and I rebooted back into linux again. No probs, and am finishing the
> rest of the install.
>
> As an aside, anyone know what happened to console-apt? I liked it a
> whole lot more than aptitude.

it got removed from potato for dubious release critical bugs :(  you
should be able to find the package in woody. (well maybe, woody on
powerpc, and even i386 is rather broken at the moment)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/