Re: potato install

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 04:16:47PM -0600, Jeremiah Merkl wrote:
> > ...wow...that was slick. I did a network install, and only had one problem.
> >
> > Installed on a G3-all-in-one 233MHz, 96M ram, using BootX (will
> > switch to yaboot soon).
>
> make sure you create a 800K Apple_Bootstrap type bootstrap partition
> as the first partition on the disk.

Already done, in preparation. :) Now I just have to sit down and read how to use
yaboot/ybin properly. Anyone have those pointers to online docs done yet?

> > As it turns out, this machine (at least mine, I don't know about all
> > of them) is a little unique in that the internal HD is hdc, and the
> > CD is hda.
>
> wierd, its funny i have yet to see a powermac that has hdc used, on my
> blue G3 the cdrom is on secondary master but the device is hde, unlike
> intel where it would be hdc.  what gives?

> > this wouldn't be a problem, except the base system that I pulled down
> > (base-2_2.tgz from 2.2.13-2000-05-04)  is completely missing
> > /dev/hdc* and hdd. I thought it was funny that it had hda, hdb, and
> > hde, f, g and h, but no c or d.
>
> probably because most machines don't seem to use these devices.. you
> should be able to create them yourself...

I had no problem doing that, but still. How big are the files in /dev that the
hdc and hdd files were left out? Shouldn't they just have been there for
completeness, in case the odd non-apple powermac actually uses hdc?

> > So who gets the bug report?  base, base-files, base-config, or what?
>
> not sure..

:) Anyone else have any thoughts? I'll file it against base-files otherwise, and
let the maintainer to tell me that it's not their problem.

> > As an aside, anyone know what happened to console-apt? I liked it a
> > whole lot more than aptitude.
>
> it got removed from potato for dubious release critical bugs :(  you
> should be able to find the package in woody. (well maybe, woody on
> powerpc, and even i386 is rather broken at the moment)

blast. You mean I shouldn't be running several of my machines under "unstable"?
:) I'm just a glutton for punishment, I guess. :)

-Jeremiah Merkl