Re: sig11 on as

on 08/04/2000 9:36 PM, Ethan Benson at erbenson@alaska.net wrote:

*snip*

> i just recompiled my kernel to see, and no i had no problems at all,
> what you describe sounds very much like `the signal 11 problem' you
> should go read the document that describes it and how to debug it if
> you have not already:
>
> http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/
>
> and yes you macos crashes could be a result of bad hardware too (as
> sig11's usually are in compiling on linux) its just much harder to
> notice bad hardware on macos since crashes are really are not
> uncharacteristic.

The MacOS one is just a bug in IE5, its the only one that causes it, the
rest of the programs don't, but its gotten consistant, I'm going to blank my
PRAM, see if that fixes it... and unless its heat damaging something, I
don't see any reason why stuff coulda gone bad...  But IE5 is the only
program that causes it under MacOS, but then, its consistant and generally
happens after a certain amount of time every time I try to run IE5.  Hrml...
I know this is off topic, but it might help in debugging the problem...
GaugePro doesn't say anything is wrong with my RAM.  I may play RAM roulette
later tonight and see if it starts working, but it happens consistantly, not
just every now and then, no matter how many RAM eating programs I've got
loaded... I'm really starting to get scared that this processor overheated
too... my room is very bad about that.  I recently sold a K6-3 because it
ran at unacceptable temperatures in my room, and I had it underclocked to
try and cool it down, the guy I sold it too accidentally overclocked it and
it ran a good 30F cooler than it did underclocked in this room.  ;_;

-Adrianne