Re: pdisk and OS9

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000,  <telkis@americanisp.com> wrote:

>Is there a newer version of pdisk that can help me, and if not are
>there any other utilities that I can use to make a Apple_Bootstrap
>partition, or at least see the partition information of the hard drive.

pdisk on MacOS is broken. You should use the linux version (you'll have
to boot with an installer ramdisk that contains pdisk).

>I would also like to know what sound chipset and ethernet chipset (read
>what drivers are needed for Linux) are in the iBook and what the
>development status is for them.

Ethernet is a "gmac" also known as "GEM". It's a Sun part that Apple
included in their Uni-N ASIC. There's a simple driver for it in the
current pmac-stable tree (on Paul's rsync) and in the precompiled kernels
on my page. It still lacks multicast support since we don't have infos on
the format of the hash table used for setting up the chip's multicast filter.

The sound chipset is a standard chip (I don't have the reference with me
now) wired on an i2s bus provided by the KeyLargo ASIC (Apple specific).
We don't have infos about the i2s implementation in KeyLargo and I didn't
try to find infos about the sound chip yet. It's different than AWACS
family chips used on other macs. We don't have a driver for it yet.